growing a life

I’ve arrived at the end of my year of Horticulture study greatly wiser, learning a lot… enough to understand there is so much more I do not know. However, among many useful skills I acquired the aptitude to research and find answers within the horticultural domain.

Business Card
I’m a Horticulturalist!

Professionally, as well as actually obtaining a qualification as a horticulturist and the starting point of a knowledge base, the most rewarding aspect was that I began to think like a horticulturist with confidence to look further, know who to ask or where to obtain more information.

Personally, I had a wonderful year. I enjoyed exercising my brain via processing new data. I met and spent time with a diverse & entertaining group of fellow students, talented teachers with impressive industry expertise, and found new community in the horticultural realm.

Some of the metamorphosis was tangible. For the first half of the year I showed up at class in versions of my everyday attire until mid-year when I knew this was a way of life to which I’d decided to commit, demonstrably in the form of purchasing a pair of steel cap work boots, now my go-to footwear paired with a black t-shirt and blue denim jeans, quite different to my city corporate legal wardrobe pre-2016.

If you’re wondering What Next? I was too. The answer became apparent as the year progressed. More of The Same. The more I learn the more I realise how much more there is to learn. It takes time to create a muscle memory bank, a knowledge reference base that is habitual & reflexive when called upon.

For 2018 I’ve enrolled for another year at Tafe studying Production Horticulture, with a balance of theory and appealing practical aspects growing crops such as garlic and ginger in the Tafe agricultural plot.

“Plant dreams, pull weeds & grow a happy life.” Anais Lee

Wishing you love and light for the festive season. Thank you for your blogging company during 2017. Day-to-day life has been pleasantly busy and not all as I’d envisaged prior to our sea-tree change in late 2015 but at the moment the balance works for me, and I’m happy with the juggling act that it is.

For glimpses of our everyday life you can see my Instagram snapshots on the right (hover cursor over the pics for the captions) or if you’re an Instagrammer you can follow me at daleleelife101.

My Horticulture Certificate 3 year in pictures…

Set out collage
Set out site for construction works
Propagtion collage
Implement a propagation plan
Plant establishment program.jpg
Implement a plant establishment program
Plant Nutrition.JPG
Implement a plant nutrition program
20170722_154001
Contribute to work health and safety processes
environmentally sustainable.jpg
Apply environmentally sustainable work practices
stone structures.jpg
Construct stone structures and features
Pruning.jpg
Perform specialist amenity pruning
Steam weeder.jpg
Control weeds
Concreting collage
Construct landscape features using concrete
Soils.jpg
Implement soil improvements for garden and turf areas
Plant sale.jpg
Maintain nursery plants
Beneficials.jpg
Control plant pests, diseases and disorders
Irrigation.jpg
Install pressurised irrigation systems
Retaining Walls Collage.jpg
Implement a retaining wall project

In addition to Horticulture Certificate 3, I did a couple of complementary short courses. SafeWork NSW National WHS General Construction Induction Training (White Card) and…

Chemcert.jpg
Agricultural Chemical Skill Set SMARTtrain Chemical Accreditation AQF3 (ChemCert)

It’s amazing how much you can accomplish in a year via subsidised education fees – my fee spend was $340, plus petrol money and my time.

18 thoughts on “growing a life

acflory said:
    December 21, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Wow…I’m gobsmacked by how much you’ve done. But please please please! Can you share what you learn about garlic and ginger? I have not had any luck [or knowledge] about both of those staples.
    If you’re like me and busy preparing for Christmas I’ll just say – Merry Christmas and talk in the aftermath! lol

Liked by 1 person

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      December 22, 2017 at 6:15 am

Hey Meeks, I’m excited to hear there’s someone out there whose as interesting in growing stuff as I do. Happy to share ♡

acflory said:
        December 22, 2017 at 8:40 am

Soon as I have time to scratch myself I’ll post some pics of my tomatoes, grown from /my/ seeds. I know I have a number of different varieties in there, including at least one heritage, but I have no idea what’s what. lol I think I need some advice on organisation!

Glenda said:
    December 21, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Well done Ella

memoirsofahusk said:
    December 21, 2017 at 9:14 pm

My word, D, you are impressive! If it weren’t so far to travel I’d ask you round to sort out our tiny patch!! I hope you enjoy your seasonal break and wish you all you would wish for yourself – plus peace on earth, of course! Here’s to a healthy, productive, happy 2018.

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      December 22, 2017 at 6:18 am

Kind words from you ♡ What I’ve seen of your garden via pics looks impressive. You could teach me some things!

Liked by 1 person

memoirsofahusk said:
        December 22, 2017 at 8:22 pm

I could teach you about chaos and creative destruction!! Always plant too many things too close together.

Liked by 1 person

katechiconi said:
    December 22, 2017 at 1:20 am

You’ve clearly had a whale of a time and have found your ecological niche 🙂 I doubt those steelies will have time to develop any dust! While I think of it, I have the perfect small and appropriate gift for you, I’ll try and remember to mail it next week! Wishing you both a happy and fun-filled festive season and a stellar New Year.

Liz @ spades, spatulas, and spoons said:
    December 22, 2017 at 3:19 am

Congratulations, both for completing the program and the changes that took place in 2017. I love the hardscape projects you’ve worked on. Have a wonderful holiday.

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      December 22, 2017 at 6:54 am

Thank you ♡ The hardscape projects weren’t quite what I was expecting to study but it was rewarding & fun to learn new skills and see the outcomes.

Liked by 1 person

anne54 said:
    December 22, 2017 at 10:13 am

I am blown away by all you have done! I love the retaining wall. Did you build it at your place? I’d love to know about garlic too. My crop this year had very small bulbs. Maybe you could become an online gardening guru!

Have a joyful Christmas and a happy, creative and sustainable (in all ways!) 2018. xox

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      December 23, 2017 at 8:24 am

Thank you. The retaining wall was our last class project for the year! I’m with you on the garlic crop, small bulbs here too and the few I missed are NOW starting to grow… in the wrong season 🤔
      BTW I’ve really enjoyed your newsletters, such a lovely way to keep your fans up to date ♡

Eha said:
    December 22, 2017 at 11:29 am

What next? Absolutely thrilled for you! What a humongous change from living next to a rail line in the burbs of Sydney-town!! I can actually FEEL you being contented . . . .have a wonderfully warm holiday season . . .

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      December 23, 2017 at 8:34 am

Thank you. We enjoyed our city life but it was time to make the move, and we haven’t looked back. It’s so nice to be home and doing things we dreamed of ♡

Ardys said:
    December 24, 2017 at 11:18 am

Finally, I have time to read your post… Am so pleased for your achievement. It is such a buzz to find a new direction one wishes to pursue in life . I look forward to updates in 2018. Very best wishes to you both. xx

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      December 24, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Thank you ♡ I feel fortunate that I’ve been able to transition from my city corporate working life to this new way of being my dreams of which sustained me for so long.

Liked by 1 person

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )