words and deeds

homeworkAs the season changed from summer to autumn I continued to live in two horticultural worlds; one of words creating an imaginary garden in answer to a client brief to fulfil the major plant culture assignment for my Hortculture course at Tafe, and the other of deeds working on our garden.

Today I finished the report. This is the overview, where I “sell it”…

The gardening year naturally divides into four seasons characterised by their own events, cycles and weather. Taking into account the practical, aesthetic and sensory this plant assemblage has been selected to accomplish an outcome which is both handsome and serviceable.

It offers an opportunity for simple pleasures: waking to birdsong, beholding butterflies, soothing bee hum, wafting perfume, feel of fragrant foliage, aroma and flavour of fresh culinary edibles, well as seasonal appreciation of varying foliage and flowers.

Central to this garden design is its heart, literally evidenced by a signature Cercis canadensis ‘Forest Pansy’ (Eastern Redbud) whose burgundy heart shaped leaves and rose coloured flowers are on display front and central, offset by a mass of Gaura lindheimeri’s (Beeblossom) whirling butterflies blooms adjacent to a stand of stylish Prunus glandulosa ‘Alba Plena’ (Dwarf Flowering Almond).

Acanthus mollis’ (Oyster Plant) resplendent ruffled shiny green foliage studded with striking purple and white flower spikes in summer heralds the front walkway, preceding an invitation to linger along scented Lavendula dentata (French Lavender) fringing the entry, divert to a troika of tasty Fragaria (Strawberry) species or the perfume of an espaliered Osmanthus heterophyllus (Fragrant Holly) just beyond.

Flanking the western border are glossy dark green foliage and pink budded, fragrant springtime flowers of Viburnum x burkwoodii (Burkwood Viburnum) countering a multi-hued floral display ensemble of Impatiens species skirting the deck.

On the eastern side Backhousia citriodora’s (Lemon Scented Myrtle) bronzed green leaves and clusters of flowers provide a lemon scented boundary and backdrop to the patio.

Neighbouring the existing grove of citrus, a triad of culinary tub specimens garnish patio boundaries: Punica granatum ‘Nana’ (Dwarf Pomegranate), Eugenia reinwardtiana (Cedar Bay Cherry), Laurus nobilis (Bay Laurel) are close by Rosemarinus officinalis ‘Tuscan Blue’ (Rosemary) demarcating the kitchen garden proximate to the pergola’s swathe of Passiflora edulis (Purple Passionfruit).

A guard of tall evergreen Melaleuca armillaris (Bracelet Honey Myrtle) with creamy white puffy flowers and characterful bark grace the rear northwest corner balanced by a trio of fragrant flowering Abelia species in the northeast.

Taking advantage of the generous proportions of rear space a trinity of Ceratopetalum gummiferum (NSW Christmas Bush) provide shade and festive display in harmony with the adjacent jewel of the backyard, a Lagerstroemia indica x fauriel ‘Natchez White’ (Crepe Myrtle).

Complementary and constructive plant selections have been made to accomplish eighteen contiguous but distinct areas and uses proposed by the landscape concept plan, and are detailed in Appendix 2 Plant Selection Sheet and Appendix 3 Plant Profile Sheets.

Then went for a walk around our garden with my camera…

“A man of words and not of deeds
Is like a garden full of weeds” ~ John Fletcher

Kate of the talltalesfromciconia blog and her husband Mr C came for a visit yesterday, and has some lovely words to say and photographs to show on her blog about our corner of the world.

20 thoughts on “words and deeds

acflory said:
    May 8, 2017 at 5:13 pm

love the garden design and the pics. Bet you had more fun walking around the garden with your phone. :p
    Btw you have mentioned Soosie Cat in a while. Is she still around or has Diesel chased her away?

Liked by 1 person

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      May 10, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Thank you. I love getting distracted in the garden… weeds and watering are a good excuse. Soossie-Cat still lives next door. Deez isn’t a fan. I get to see her and pats but I miss her 😦

acflory said:
        May 10, 2017 at 8:46 pm

I’m so relieved! I was worried that something had happened to her. Mogi loves the cats but that’s because she’s so much smaller than they are, and because she literally grew up with them. Diezel seems like a very sweet do though. 🙂

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
          May 11, 2017 at 6:47 am

Deez is ok with LHS’ other cat when we go over their, fine with the ducklings too, he couldn’t care less less but has a thing about Soossie, the G. O. thinks it’s because he can smell her all over HIS house and yard…

acflory said:
          May 11, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Aaaah, yes, that makes sense, so she’s competition for your affections! lol They’re just like kids aren’t they?

Liked by 1 person

katechiconi said:
    May 8, 2017 at 7:21 pm

I love that you’re showcasing a Forest Pansy, one of my most favourite trees!
    I can confirm that your lovely garden is even better in real life than it appears in your photos, gorgeous as they are, and Diesel Dog is a treasure, even if he’s not best friends with Soosie-cat. And I think you should reconsider your oath never to bake with GF flour again – that chocolate/coconut/cherry slice wasn’t at all bad, and the mandarin syrup made it even better 🙂 We had a wonderful day, and are looking forward to catching up again when we’re down in October.

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      May 10, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I’m a sucker for heart shaped anything so was thrilled to read about the Forest Pansy’s leaves. It’s so nice having a garden, if a bit more work than I thought. However convenient homegrown produce makes it worthwhile even though. I may need some time to reconsider GF flour. In the meantime there are others. It was good to see you and we enjoyed your visit.

Liked by 1 person

katechiconi said:
        May 10, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Perhaps I can convince you about GF baking when I see you in October….

Liked by 1 person

May 8, 2017 at 11:06 pm

The report sounds like a delightful mosaic of sight, textures, and smells. (Well done with the descriptive vocabulary)
    Lovely quote – and enjoyed the tour of the real garden (and its’ staff)

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      May 10, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Thank you. You’re very kind… the descriptive vocabulary was a bit OTT for my day-to-day tastes but necessary to paint the picture. Oh yes, we are our own staff, and either need sacking/firing or a payrise 🙂

Liked by 1 person

Nola Mackey said:
    May 9, 2017 at 9:40 am

Great to hear from you again. Your garden looks wonderful. Lovely to have some progress photographs.

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      May 10, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Thank you. When we get enough rain subtropical coastal hinterland zone gardens are quite rewarding in their greenness. I hale from a much drier inland region, and never cease to marvel.

memoirsofahusk said:
    May 9, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Ooh you make me feel soooo lazy! And tired, just looking at all that effort! But I am now going to take some garden pictures while the sun shines on our weedy garden, add them to some nature pictures and do a non-wordy blog. Politics has got its claws into me today and I need some of nature’s balm. Good luck with the assignment – great write up.

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      May 10, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Thank you. Weedy gardens are my preference… they are usually more so havens for birds, bees and butterflies than the neat & tidy and weed free. Although we have less weeds as I have been feeding them to the chooks.

diannegray said:
    May 10, 2017 at 6:03 am

I just love that old bathtub garden. The closest I have to that is an old cement triple tub. I got hubby to move it to the back garden a few years ago and now I want it out the front again – the only problem is that it needs a tractor to move it 😀

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      May 10, 2017 at 6:59 pm

That bathtub also is weighty – it’s cast iron. It once was in the house, then dug into the back garden, now it’s really useful. I’d love an old concrete was tub… I remember the one in my grandmother’s laundry. You’ll have to find another and have one front and back 🙂

Liked by 1 person

Ardys said:
    May 11, 2017 at 4:31 pm

I think your prose is beautiful. As for gf flour, not all are created equally. I’ve found a recipe to make my own blend that ‘behaves’ much better than the store bought variety. I’ve also learned, tho not mastered, there is an art to creating and converting gf recipes. Now that we are home again and the weather is cooler I will be doing more baking tests 😬 xx

Liked by 1 person

EllaDee's daleleelife101.blog responded:
      May 11, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Thank you. It’s funny, I’d been missing writing, blogging but once I got into the assignment it gave me the opportunity to do the research I often do for a blog post, and write what is in essence a short story.
      DIY GF flour is a good tip… I have various which I have baked with individually, and found a new stallholder who goes to local markets who also has good quality & range of nuts, flours etc.
      You had quite the roadtrip, and covered so much wonderful country but being home is nice too ♡

Liked by 1 person

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )