glory glory to – pizza

Pizza a al G.O.
Pizza a la G.O.

Actually the words are glory, glory to South Sydney but our beloved Rabbitohs missed out on a grand final spot, losing the NRL football final to the bloody Manly Sea Eagles last night… Vengeance will hopefully be ours when the Sea Eagles get done in the grand final next weekend by the winner of tonight’s final between the Newcastle Knights and Sydney Roosters. Go the Knights.

Back to the pizza… Celi at the thekitchensgarden as a last hurrah for the Home Grown September Challenge suggested Pizza Friday. Every Friday is pizza Friday chez EllaDee and the G.O., and over the course of August evolved from Friday night pizza home delivery to Friday night homemade pizza. It’s been a chapter in the move from supermarket shopping to farmers markets which I’ll espouse in due course over on elladee_words.

Pizza a la EllaDee
Pizza a la EllaDee

The ingredients for our pizza were leftovers from the G.O.’s lunch bits and pieces: provolone, mozzarella, fennel salami and green olives from the markets at The Grounds of Alexandria; bases from Salts Meats Cheese; Swiss Brown mushrooms from Eveleigh Farmers Market; white anchovies in the fridge; and a lucky jar of artichoke tapenade from Fiji Market in the pantry. The homemade sauce was Celi inspired: for the first time ever, I recently turned 2 kgs tomatoes into crockpot tomato sauce with basil, garlic and onions.

The G.O. distracted by the football drama playing out on TV made an artistic rendition of his pizza by leaving the pizza cutter cover on, which we remedied and he simply applied a rustic effect to mine.

When speaking of the champions
One stands above the rest
Of glories old and records proud
When often put to test
Of fine traditions, history
That others cannot best
They wear the RED & GREEN

Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
Glory, Glory to South Sydney
South Sydney Marches On

13 thoughts on “glory glory to – pizza

cecilia said:
    September 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

fennel salami, that sounds very good! Your pizza looks delish- us! We might start to have pizza fridays every friday here as well .. have a gorgeous sunday!! c

September 28, 2013 at 5:05 pm

The salami tasted great, not that I ate a lot of it. But, the usual fresh salami from the markets wasn’t available so we grabbed it from the cool room, and were disappointed when we got it home to see 621 and 627 on the list of ingredients… buyer beware. Yes, Friday night pizza is easy, and I enjoy it even more making it ourselves 🙂

September 28, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Mmm, they both look delicious.
    I’ve been meaning to do a homemade Pizza recently, you’ve encouraged me even more now. 🙂

September 29, 2013 at 4:34 pm

If you’ve a good local pizza place, it’s a great but despite many where we live, good takeaway pizza is something we’ve struggled with, and homemade pizza although rustic has integrity 🙂

metan said:
    September 28, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Mmm… Pizza.They look yumptious. We do semi-homemade, buying the blandest bases from the supermarket and add the stuff we want. Not quite as homemade as yours, I think that is a reflection on my laziness…. 😀

metan said:
      September 28, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Go Storm! *Sniff…*.

September 29, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I like the Storm, except when they beat the Bunnies. We are now officially into who cares mode until next season 😦

metan said:
          September 29, 2013 at 10:30 pm

And here comes the cricket, possibly the worlds most boring sport. All it means to us is that we lose one tv channel for long periods of time. There’s so little worth watching we can hardly afford to lose a whole channel…. 😦

September 30, 2013 at 6:25 am

Never could get into the cricket… the G.O. put me onto the tennis though, so there’s evenings in the aircon watching that to look forward to… somehow I always connect the 2 things 🙂

September 29, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Oh… we buy our bases as well… I haven’t achieved such a glorious life that I have time to make them, or the cooking skills. And the toppings are just leftovers. Opportunistic homemade pizza 🙂

metan said:
        September 29, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I’m not good enough at cooking to think that my homemade bases would be any good either… As long as I am heavy on the hot salami I’m not sure anyone would care what I put on those bases though!

September 30, 2013 at 6:29 am

I like a sliver of salami but it doesn’t always like me… The slow cooker tomatoes were easy, great on the pizza and also for slow cooked stew – which you’ve said The Man is a fan of – lamb shanks and beef cheeks 🙂

[…] from the cafe near his worksite if there are no leftovers from home. They get double-use as his homemade Friday night pizza toppings. We also buy pizza bases, sourdough bread, and occasionally treat ourselves to […]