D.I.Y. protest march

Earlier in May I posted regarding Monsanto on elladee_words “You are what you eat. You are every dollar you spend. Read labels. Choose wisely. Care. Make a difference”.

March Against Monsanto is May 25th, today, but I didn’t join in the protest marches against Monsanto, it’s not my style. I didn’t do anything special, just what we do many weekends – visit a farmers market. The G.O. due to miserable Sydney weather during the week washing out his work site, had an unusual free Saturday, so we grabbed a couple of shopping bags and marched over to Eveleigh Farmers Markets in Sydney’s glorious Saturday sunshine.

It was simple. We didn’t need to refer to the boycott list of Monsanto companies, we protested by spending some of this weeks grocery dollars on local and organic produce. The benefits of this type of protest is I can do it as often as I want, it will make a difference, oh, and it tastes delicious.

14 thoughts on “D.I.Y. protest march

metan said:
    May 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Marching in protest isn’t my thing either. Today I went out and bought some heirloom seeds and tomorrow I have a day of gardening in the veg patch planned. Just like you I am going for an ongoing small scale protest, planting my own veg and buying local produce, rather than a public march.

May 26, 2013 at 7:44 am

You rebel… bucking Monsanto authority with heirloom seeds 😉 Great idea… I couldn’t find/see media coverage of the Australian marches (just a few pics on a topical website), which would be the point of a protest march, so I think doing something personal and meaningful makes sense.

metan said:
        May 26, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Hee hee, now it is Sunday and I somehow managed to get the Man to spend his day levelling me a new veg garden. That means there were some sounds of protest but rather than them being against Monsanto they were against the rain….. 😉

I didn’t hear of any protest on the news either, I feel even better about our small protests now. 😀

May 27, 2013 at 5:57 am

Even the rain was on your side – despite the Man’s protests, great time to dig & plant out seeds 🙂
          Nup, I saw no TV or internet news coverage.

May 26, 2013 at 3:06 am

What a beautiful display of produce 🙂
    I totally agree with you, supporting the local organic growers is a much healthier option, and a far more effective way to protest too.

May 26, 2013 at 7:50 am

Thank you – it’s a great market, in the middle of Sydney, with wonderful growers and produce. And, it’s the only farmers market we live close enough to walk to, if we don’t go overboard with the purchases, which I prefer. I thought about going in to the march but decided to go on with what has been working for me 🙂

May 27, 2013 at 12:29 am

Best plan is to watch where you spend your money. Maybe all the noise nudge consumers to use local organic/careful farmers. Small farms are struggling and trying to do what is healthy.
    Nice pictures! HAve a great weeken

May 27, 2013 at 6:00 am

Thank you 🙂 It’s so true. I buy household products, eg cleaning, tinned, staple food online for home delivery and yesterday when I updated my list I could see a clear change in what we buy – organic and eco rules 🙂 We don’t spend any more $$$ because we don’t use as much.

May 27, 2013 at 1:01 am

I think each type of protest is invaluable in its own way. Publicity and demonstration are necessary. So is word of mouth and spreading a message. So is changing a habit and spending differently. Aren’t our blog posts a different way of demonstrating too?

May 27, 2013 at 6:06 am

I think the blog posts are… any sort of information and communication, considering I didn’t see one bit of mainstream media coverage.
      It was good wandering through the market, it was really busy, and I thought everyone here is doing their bit, regardless of it they realise it or not.
      And, a lot will do the same again next week 🙂

Richard Guest said:
    May 27, 2013 at 5:42 am

Looks like nice produce. Like your style, EllaDee!

May 27, 2013 at 6:02 am

Thank you 🙂 It felt a bit like cheating because it’s something we do anyway but it isn’t about just one day, we can protest all we want but it’s our spending habits that make a difference.

June 5, 2013 at 7:09 pm

It looks like a great market EllaDee, the food looks really good.

June 6, 2013 at 5:49 am

Thank you. It, and we have been going for a few years now… an inner city experiment that worked 🙂