Old & new in Newtown III – new kids on the block

Is this a spray can turf war? Are the Inner West street artists using selfies to mark out territory?

Overnight* the buxom young lass on the corner of Bray & Concord Streets who replaced an alien being, changed to a young man.
The new bloke
The new bloke
Earlier this year this portrait replaced the alien wookie-like creature and our bit of Banksy in the Charles Street park. I saw the guy painting it but it took me a couple of weeks to get around to snapping it and even then I didn’t post it because I thought it was a bit ho hum…

Portrait of the artist?
Portrait of the artist?
“Every artist dips his brush into his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.”
Henry Ward Beecher

*The G.O. swears at 5.30am the buxom young lass was in situ. I snapped the new bloke at 8.16am.

15 thoughts on “Old & new in Newtown III – new kids on the block

April 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm

That’s quick work for one person (without a ladder?), unless he’s using some sort of pattern?

April 17, 2013 at 8:50 pm

It would be very quick work… I didn’t test if the paint was still damp…

April 17, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I have been noticing similar things, the graffiti artists are actually doing some amazing stuff.

April 18, 2013 at 5:50 am

They are 🙂 Even on our usual routes it’s good but I need to go for a wander 🙂

dadirri7 said:
    April 18, 2013 at 7:25 am

such vibrant fun … we must walk around those streets sometime! no graffiti art here in the bush ….

April 18, 2013 at 11:15 am

You just run into it in the Inner West but I must take myself off, and probably the G.O. for a proper wander. I found pieces at at Kempsey & Sofala that could be labelled murals but they were commentary / documentary so I think of them as street art. I guess it depends on your own assessment. The bus stop at Taylors Arm is painted mural style.

dadirri7 said:
        April 18, 2013 at 1:34 pm

as is the toilet block at narooma … by the local high school students 🙂

April 18, 2013 at 8:07 am

These pieces are amazing, EllaDee. Are they at all sanctioned by the city? I would love to see this “catch on” over here. Anything to replace the ubiquitous gang signs. If it is some sort of turf war, imagine if this were the beginning of the 16th century and the “combatants” Michelangelo & Raphael. However would one decide today which painting/layer would be “the one”?

April 18, 2013 at 11:21 am

🙂 In their own genre some of these street artists are set to be modern day versions of Michelangelo & Raphael… and although I have my own tastes and preferences it would be hard to decide what’s best. The walls these 2 pieces are painted on are private, so I guess it’s up to the property owners but it does seem quite accepted and even encouraged at least in the city fringe and Inner West.

April 18, 2013 at 8:49 am

Cool cool. It might be a one-upmanship situation – and we all get rewarded with new views.
    Really like that top one

April 18, 2013 at 11:17 am

I really like the top one too – it has an energy about it that appeals to me, and also that roller door is very dynamic, constantly changing 🙂

metan said:
    April 18, 2013 at 10:44 am

I guess selfies are better than the tags the talentless ones use. 🙂

April 18, 2013 at 11:10 am

Ooh yes, I hate those ugly lazy talentness tags. This is a whole different ball game 🙂

April 29, 2013 at 1:40 am

I love street art that is actually art not just bad tagging. These are gorgeous!

April 29, 2013 at 6:02 am

Tagging doesn’t rate. There’s a whole range of street art from stencils to this really good stuff, and I like what it adds to our surroundings. It’s contemporary as you can get and you don’t need to visit a gallery to see it 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )