A recent article on SMH introduced me to Dunbar’s Number “the maximum number of friends a human can have at any one time” apparently 150 on average, of which 5 to 7 are intimate relationships increasing in layers of lessening intimacy up to a maximum of 1500 people including all and sundry who we don’t know personally but recognise e.g. fellow commuters, celebrities…
In 2012 I met a whole new world of people via blogging. They have become in effect my virtual neighbours, booting out a whole lot of actual people who took up places in that 1500 without adding much value.
Like everyone I have plans and dreams but they were neglected and didn’t have much flesh on them. They needed a good feed. Gradually I picked my way through WordPress Community Garden, tasting then feasting upon the wonderful produce on offer. Now my plans and dreams are fat and bursting with detail and ideas.
Richard of The Future Is Papier Mâché generously handed out nominations for a swag of awards at the end of 2012, including nominating elladeewords for Very Inspiring Blogger, Sisterhood of the World Bloggers, Gargie Award and Blog of the Year 2012, to which I’m only now happily if belatedly responding, due to a holiday hiatus and back to the real world distractions.
Of those awards Gargie and Blog of the Year 2012 are new to elladeewords. I’m honoured to accept, and pass on my nominations for both awards below with pithy details of how these bloggers over the course of 2012 fed my plans and dreams, and empowered my journey by their posts, and responses to mine. It wouldn’t surprise if me all of them have been previously nominated for Blog of the Year 2012… they’re that good!
Buried Words and Bushwa’s Metan inspires me by radiating love of life and more often than not giving me a laugh.
Clouds moving in’s Roughseas inspires me to be an informed thinker and consumer of life. The Roughseas blog broadens my world by generously sharing eclectic thoughts & knowledge, insights into Gib & Spanish life, and she also has Pippadog, Land Rovers & Pics blogs.
dadirridreaming’s Christine inspires to me strive for the life I want.
Dianne Gray inspires me with her brilliant writing and attitude to life including giving up her day job and old life to move to North Queensland.
East of Málaga’s Marianne inspires me by her gift of sharing the life and colour of Spain.
from the Bartolini kitchens’ ChgoJohn inspires me with food, glorious food prepared with big helpings of generosity and joy.
Kourtney Heintz’s Journal inspires me by sharing her journey of writing and publishing, book reviews, and kills me with Grandma H. stories.
Leanne Cole Photography inspires me with her artistry and persistence in pursuing her ambitions.
Lori’s Lane inspires me with her wisdom.
My Bright Life inspires me by love of the coast, which I share, and insights into life in South Africa.
Paralaxvu inspires me with her compassion, honesty and wicked sense of humour.
Pete Denton inspires me with his dedication to writing, goals and book reviews.
Philosopher Mouse of the Hedge inspires me with her clever interpretation of social and community issues & interests, missives from RC Cat and canine perspectives of Molly & The German.
Postcard Cafe‘s Nigel inspires me with his passion for Sheffield street art.
Robyn Coyle inspires me with her writing skills and comedic flair, and shares tools that assist me to be more comfortable and confident in my writing space.
RumpyDog’s household inspires me by their dedication to animal welfare and rights, and beguiles me with unbearable cuteness.
The Future Is Papier Mâché’s Richard inspires with his enthusiasm for photography, books and music, and appreciation of urban landscapes and its inhabitants.
The Kitchens Garden’s Celi inspires me with her sustainable living & food commitment and her energy, and delights me with the Farmy cast.
The Wanderlust Gene inspires me with her passion for life in Sri Lanka, love of the Misses Kotte, and remarkable archive of images.
Vics Pics and More inspires me with her walks and travels with dogs Jasper & Sal.
Walking with a Smacked Pentax inspires me by taking me to into stunning timeless landscapes, and dark deep places.
Even if it takes me a while to get to them I like to find time to respond to award nominations because I value the nomination and the effort that has gone in to passing it on. Roughseas recently shared a link which makes a good technical point about awards and possible flow on benefits if you find such things useful.
Come On In Patsy Cline
“Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.” Ruth Reichl
Gargie Award Rules:
1. Display the award badge as prominently on your site as you are inclined.
2. Publish a post to inform the world of your great achievement… in your own good time.
3. Nominate fellow bloggers… who you have great bloggy affection for.
4. Indicate to your nominees that they have received the award… by whatever means is most convenient.
Blog of the Year 2012 Rules:
1. Select another blog or other blogs who deserve the ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award;
2. Write a blog post and tell us about the blog(s) you have chosen – there’s no minimum or maximum number of blogs required – and ‘present’ them with their award;
3. Include a link back to this post ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award at the Thought Palette and provide these ‘rules’ in your post; (please don’t alter the rules or the badges!) link lost in transition
4. Let the blog(s) you have chosen know that you have given them this award and share the ‘rules’ with them;
5. You can now also join our Facebook group – click ‘like’ on this page ‘Blog of the Year 2012’ Award Facebook group and then you can share your blog with an even wider audience; link lost in transition
6. As a winner of the award – please add a link back to the blog that presented you with the award – and then proudly display the award on your blog and sidebar … and start collecting stars. not for me but if you wish…
(italics indicate elladee variations)