Yes, we have bananas

image

Coffs Coast icon & bananas, the best ever according to the G.O.

10 thoughts on “Yes, we have bananas

January 9, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I hope you’re somewhere cool, EllaDee.

January 10, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Thnx. It’s warmish but we’ve managed with R&R, a breeze, fans & quite a few afternoon swims. Only four more days…

January 9, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I think bananas are one of the few sub-tropical fruits that aren’t grown in Spain, unlike custard apples, mangos and avocados.

January 10, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I like bananas well enough but prefer avocados (which despite farming them, the G.O. doesn’t eat) and mangoes. We were lucky enough to be able to go onto and into the G.O.’s Granny’s old property, and sampled a banana from there (future post) and it whet the G.O.’s appetite for local Coffs bananas.

January 10, 2013 at 7:14 am

I’m going to sound really thick now, but do bananas grow is Australia?

January 10, 2013 at 5:16 pm

They certainly do 🙂 The Coffs Coast is famous for them… and even has the Big Banana tourist attraction but they also grow in Queensland. The G.O. being a Coffs banana grower once, far prefers the local offerings 🙂

January 10, 2013 at 11:46 am

Looks like a produce stand from around here…only no bananas! (They do grow in neighborhood yards sometimes….there one by the vet.) Can’t wait until spring and summer veggies arrive here….it’s still raining…..

January 10, 2013 at 5:13 pm

We’ve had very warm weather – great from a holiday point of view but need rain for tanks. Cooler & cloudy today so I unusually have internet access at TA.
      We ate a banana from the G.O.’s Granny’s old property… subject of a future post… which gave him the taste… Cunninghams has been there I estimate for more than 40 years, and is a bit of an icon, and more real, less trashy that the famous Big Banana 🙂

January 16, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I love bananas, I can remember as a kid not being able to have them all the time, because they were seasonal. How times have changed.

January 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

I agree, fruit was seasonal and other than local orchard fruit, I never tasted ‘tropical’ fruit outside a tin (yuck) until in my 20’s… but the G.O. is right, Coffs bananas taste like proper bananas 🙂