the great divide: city vs country (II)

Feeling the disparity of our dual existence after last weekend’s sojourn at our house at Taylors Arm, I posted the great divide city vs country (I) – a taste of country life.

This is the corresponding taste of city life…

Just as language has no longer anything in common with the thing it names, so the movements of most of the people who live in cities have lost their connection with the earth; they hang, as it were, in the air, hover in all directions, and find no place where they can settle. Rainer Maria Rilke

12 thoughts on “the great divide: city vs country (II)

December 8, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Your garden is huge! At least you have one which is more than I have in the city. Oh, and I loved that photo taken from Circular Quay. So Sydney.

December 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

The balcony is undercover & so much bigger than our previous apartment but it’s filthy… only geraniums & succulents can survive for any length of time under the rail ballast & dirt, and what survives gets chewed by caterpillars (it cost me a fortune at the garden centre ’til I figured out it was never going to be a success)… so the community herb garden at the back of the apartments is handy 🙂
      I don’t mind spending 10 mins at the end of the day looking out over the harbour.

December 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Thank you for an insight into Sidney 🙂
    What come across in your photos is how very clean and tidy it all looks, and the park looks an excellent escape from the built up areas……… and that view while waiting for the train…WOW!

December 8, 2012 at 11:41 pm

A would walk across the botanical gardens from our flat (different gardens to ED’s park) and then jump on the ferry at Circular Quay to go to work at the dockyard on Cockatoo Island in the middle of Sydney Harbour. Sorry ED, I am hi-jacking 😀

December 10, 2012 at 7:43 am

S’ok… it reminds me I should take a walk though the gardens with my phone/camera 🙂

December 10, 2012 at 7:42 am

It was mentioned only a few days ago how fortunate we are that the City of Sydney local govt area, inc. Sydney Park, is so well maintained, given the large population. I agree, I never get sick of looking over the harbour 🙂

J. E. Lattimer said:
    December 9, 2012 at 7:59 am

Great photos- Sydney park looks like a very nice place! Love the street art, too!

December 10, 2012 at 7:44 am

Thank you – Both were the saving grace of the ‘trauma’ of moving neighbourhoods 🙂

December 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm

We get to see both places, lovely EllaDee.

December 10, 2012 at 6:30 am

Thank you – they are very different, yet there are elements of sameness… sometimes it feels like we have one place, just 6 hours apart 😉

Richard Guest said:
    December 9, 2012 at 9:24 pm

So interesting to see the flipside – love your balcony.

December 10, 2012 at 6:25 am

Thank you… sadly it’s best not to look too closely at the balcony, the potted plants are there to provide the illusion of loveliness when it’s actually very grimy… damn trains… but nice for sitting in the sun, or rain as it’s undercover & huge in usual balcony terms.