Old & new in Newtown II – the wild wild [inner] west

I walk the same route to the train station each Monday to Friday morning, and sometimes on weekends. Enroute there’s a typical inner-west house on the corner of Bray & Concord Streets which has a nice garden, a white cat, a yellow canary and residents who appear correspondingly typical. This is their fence, as it was when I first walked past in August 2011, and now. Courtesy of the weather, seasons and street artists, every day is a new day.

“living in the wild wild west
the wild wild west…”
time travel back to the Wild Wild West c. 1988 with The Escape Club

8 thoughts on “Old & new in Newtown II – the wild wild [inner] west

November 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I take it they don’t mind being an open canvas? It would drive me up the wall!!

November 17, 2012 at 8:47 pm

It appears not – the house opposite has regularly applied (each time the wall is tagged) immaculate duck egg blue paintwork. Maybe the residnts have a connection with the artist…

November 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I’m quite surprised at the quality of the street art, but as RS has said, I did wonder if the property owners get a say in it?

November 17, 2012 at 8:49 pm

The local street art as opposed to graffiti & tagging is fantastic… I’m guessing the residents approve and/or have a relationship of some kind with the artists.

November 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm

They look so brilliant, I think people are really starting to like good graffiti, not the tags, but the other stuff, it is no nice and colourful, like a painting everywhere.

November 19, 2012 at 5:55 am

I agree, since I’ve lived in the Inner-West street art become accepted and even applauded particularly in Newtown & St Peters but in other parts it’s quickly painted over. I just love it 🙂

dadirri7 said:
    November 29, 2012 at 10:14 am

awesome street art, so glad it is on your route to the station and you can document the changes 🙂

November 29, 2012 at 10:49 am

Thank you. The difference in the environments and attitudes to street art between neighbouring suburbs is tangible… There are odd bits of true social commentary/cultural street art around Redfern, Waterloo etc, almost none in Darlington despite neighbouring the university campuses. Newtown and St Peters are wonderful galleries 🙂 It was a saving grace when we had to move.