Old and new in Newtown

Even residing locally for over 8 years, there’s always something to see in Newtown, so after leisurely coffees while the washing machine did a Sunday morning load, we walked a circuit of Sydney Park and visited the water birds and swans (Henry goes off to spend some ‘me’ time at the top pond, and one cygnet is off being treated by the RSPCA), enroute to breakfast, then a stroll along Newtown’s King Street, where the G.O. has stashed on layby so as to keep them not-so-secret and hidden from me, a couple of birthday & Christmas presents that have appealed from the numerous second hand shops.

As we strolled past Fiji Market, their shop cat was in the window just as I’d first seen her 8 years ago. When she’s not in the window she is chatty, friendly and good for a pat.

As we crossed Darley Lane which featured street art in an earlier post, the G.O. noted some new street art…

9 thoughts on “Old and new in Newtown

November 5, 2012 at 6:57 am

I’m wondering if you are going to miss street art in TA?

November 5, 2012 at 7:51 am

I’m sure I will and hope to divert myself with other entertainments, and I’m sure I’ll encounter it again elsewhere and on trips back 🙂

November 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Does this come under “Bright” and “Wonderful” “Everyday Life” in the “City” – what a “Blessing”. 🙂

November 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm

It comes under all of those, and when the everyday gets a bit too everyday, the Inner West delivers 😉

November 6, 2012 at 5:35 am

Some on that street art is amazing 🙂
    I love the cat in the window, it reminds me of Bagpus (oops, perhaps you don’t know of him in Oz).
    Are those cygnets from the black swans?

November 6, 2012 at 6:10 am

Thank you. The local street art was one of the inspirations for EllaDee images.
      I hadn’t heard of Bagpus but of course immediately googled him, and he’s very cute… Fiji Mkt cat is smaller but a big character as well 🙂
      Yes, the cynets are fluffy silver-white down when hatched and eventually grow black feathers. They are already hams and look enquiringly at you to see if you might have bread…

November 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm

You have found some great street art EllaDee, it is so colourful and looks really good.

November 7, 2012 at 5:57 am

Thank you. The street art is hard to miss, and is an integral part of the character of the area, one of the many things I enjoy 🙂