footprints in the sand

“The things which the child loves remain in the domain of the heart until old age. The most beautiful thing in life is our souls remaining over the places where we once enjoyed ourselves”  Kahil Gibran

Hawks Nest is a small coastal town on the coast of NSW, Australia, linked over the river to the equally small town of Tea Gardens, now via a bridge, 40 years ago by ferry.

You’ll often find me in spirit at Hawks Nest. When I do a meditation journey exercise, my special places might be Main Beach or Jimmy’s Beach. If I’m daydreaming at my desk, I may be walking along the beach with my dog Bo, searching for shells or starfish in the rock pools. Hawks Nest has a long history with my family. My grandparents were farmers, and the few holidays they took with their children were to Tea Gardens & Hawks Nest. Some of my earliest memories are weekends spent at Hawks Nest with Mum & Dad, and later trailing along with Dad searching for bait pippies as he fished. Winda Woppa/Jimmy’s Beach was the location for several years of family get-togethers infamous for the amount of food and liquid refreshments consumed. I don’t get to Hawks Nest so much as I’d like these days but it’s never far from my thoughts.

11 thoughts on “footprints in the sand

May 14, 2012 at 9:08 am

That looks absolutely beautiful. Was Bo part cattle dog? (he looked beautiful too).

May 14, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hawks Nest is just one of those places… and Ms Bo was a Queensland heeler – half red & half blue Cattle dog, and I see Pippa’s thick under fur & think of Bo, who had handfuls on her (in later years) substantial butt I could pull out like fleece off a sheep 🙂 She loved holidays at Hawks Nest.

May 14, 2012 at 10:13 am

Sorry about the he, a bit like people calling Pippa she! Or like, you, maybe because she actually reminded me of Pippa with the fur and even the colouring so I just thought ‘he’. Anyway, lovely looking dog. And I too pull Pippa’s fur out by the handful much to his annoyance.

May 14, 2012 at 10:17 am

S’ok… when I saw Pippa, I thought she… & yes, the fur…

May 14, 2012 at 11:10 am

Is it really still so pristine, Ella? Or is this your memory of it? Looks like heaven to me:)

May 14, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Good qestion but it hasn’t been THAT long since I’ve been there. Of course, it has been developed since my family & me first started going there but due to the geography it would be difficult for developers to emulate what’s across the bay (ref google photo & wiki link) 🙂

May 14, 2012 at 9:14 pm

It’s tremendous to hear that it’s protected from exploitation so it can remain forever a little piece of natural bush. You’re very lucky to have a place so dear to your heart. 🙂

orples said:
    May 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm

What a beautiful place to call home. Every photo I’ve ever seen of Australia has been gorgeous, yours are no exception. Lucky you. Great share. Thank you. 🙂

May 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Thank you. Via WP I’ve been seeing many beautiful places I’ll never get to visit, so I thought “elladee_places” was a good forum to share my favourites, but an interesting thought from your comment: I might have to think about photographing a few ugly places, & posts along those lines 🙂

rumpydog said:
    May 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Beautiful! I am so envious!

May 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Ah, yes, Rumpy you’d love the beach, and there’s heaps of seagulls to chase if you so choose 🙂