a little bit country

As my thoughts turn to escaping the city for a few days & heading north to Taylors Arm (NSW Australia), I thought to share a little known tourist attraction close to our home there.

Australian country music singer Slim Dusty is famous for a song called Pub With No Beer. The name of the pub at Taylors Arm is The Pub With No Beer. Legend has it Gordon Parsons penned the song later recorded by Slim about Taylors Arm’s Cosmopolitan Hotel (later renamed). However, there is ongoing controversy about the veracity of the location by other Pub With No Beer contenders. According to Wikipedia The Pub With No Beer at Taylors Arm is the real deal.

Slim Dusty came from the nearby Kempsey area and there is a memorial to him at his boyhood home at Nulla Nulla Creek about an hour’s drive via the scenic route from Taylors Arm. Press the button on the solar panel powered sign & Slim sings When the Rain Tumbles Down in July, written at the home.

Just in case you’re wondering, The Pub With No Beer at Taylors Arm does have beer and many other types of refreshments.

7 thoughts on “a little bit country

April 4, 2012 at 6:12 am

Looks beautiful out there 🙂 I’ve never heard of him, or the song. Can’t imagine an aussie pub without beer. Must look the song up. I guess it will be on youtube. Must ask partner if he has heard of him.

orples said:
    April 4, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I know how proud you must be of your local icon. Pat Benatar used to sing at “Sam Miller’s”, a local pub in Richmond, before she got big. People here, still talk about those days. This is a wonderful share.

April 11, 2012 at 3:39 am

Thnx. I’m not such a fan of Slim Dusty but I love Pat Benatar.

April 5, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Loos really pretty. Nothing lie a good local place to sit and appreciate life.

April 5, 2012 at 10:07 pm

oops, computer having difficulties should be Looks really pretty. Nothing like a good local place to sit and appreciate life….guess, I’d better plug in 🙂

April 11, 2012 at 3:40 am

No mobile phone or internet coverage either 🙂

fgassette said:
    April 19, 2012 at 1:07 am

WELCOME! Thank you for subscribing to follow my blog. I hope you are encouraged, inspired and like the photos I take during my retirement years.
    BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!