Ever feel like having a quiet beer on your own?

In the midst of a busy day, my thoughts turned to getting away from it all, and Grove Hill.

On the way from Katherine to Kakadu National Park (Northern Territory, Australia) if you take a turn off the main road onto the gravel you’ll find your way, maybe, to Grove Hill Hotel & Museum. This is the place to have that quiet beer.

We were greeted out the front by a huge dead snake, but I’m sure it’s not a permanent resident.

Even though Stan & Mary (who I believe comprise the entire permanent population) are the new management, Grove Hill was on the market. The G.O. started looking a bit interested and I decided it was time to move on.

Half way between Katherine & Darwin & 16 km off the Stuart Highway. Pieces of Territory memorabilia fill the Hotel and its grounds. With much of the mining history of the region depicted in old photos and equipment of the era past. Looking for somewhere different to have a quiet beer in the Outback, then Grove Hill Hotel is what you are after.

10 thoughts on “Ever feel like having a quiet beer on your own?

keepingupwiththekims said:
    March 27, 2012 at 3:13 am

Yes! I live in Las Vegas where it is never quiet, and it usually feels like you are an alcoholic if you are having a beer alone 😦

March 27, 2012 at 3:41 am

Nothing wrong with having a civilized beer, wine (or 2) alone.

keepingupwiththekims said:
        March 27, 2012 at 3:49 am

THANK YOU. People should embrace the fact that drinking is not just for the tourists!

March 27, 2012 at 6:02 am

Great photos. Annoying Parter has been to Kakadu etc (he worked in Darwin for some time). I have not. I always wanted to visit Katherine, being my namesake. Grove Hill looks as though it has a rather faded charm and elegance about it. Definitely bush!

Kat Stewart said:
    March 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Shows ya where my mind was…I was ready to read a rant about how difficult it is for women to go into a bar and have a beer without being hit on. Hmmm…methinks I doth rant too much..Anyway, I liked your post and am looking forward to a vicarious tour of one of only a few places in the world I’d like to visit. Thanks for the little looksee! (and be on th elookout for another post from me titled, “So A Woman Goes Into a Bar…” ;0

March 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I think maybe it depends on what bar, where, but never been the case with me. Well, I guess it could have been but I can be fairly obtuse. Thnx for your comment. I’ll look out for the post. 🙂 EllaDee

daffodils & dishwater said:
    April 3, 2012 at 5:17 am

You read my mind on the quiet beer thing! Now if only I could get to this place a bit more easily!

orples said:
    May 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

The only time I ever even think about beer is when I’m with friends, then I might drink one or two, here or there. I think I overdid drinking in my youth, and now I seldom drink anything alcoholic. What an old fuddy, duddy. Huh?

May 10, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Each to their own. Sometimes when I’m busy I just like a little time with my own company 🙂

orples said: