Thank you to Pete Denton – Writer http://petedenton.wordpress.com for nominating this award and its attendant encouragement to a blogging newbie.
When I need something it finds me: books I need to read fall off shelves; song lyrics remind of that thing I need to do or remember; random conversations trigger a memory of something important but lost in the grist of day-to-day.
And so it was that in December 2011 blogging found me. I had time & creative energy on my hands, and my sanity was slowly starting to unravel. For 3 years my work life had pretty much consumed everything. Then the project ended and I had time, and lots of it, still at a desk in front of a keyboard & computer screen. I had been dabbling in OneWord & Scribd and it was through OneWord I found http://missalister.wordpress.com/ .
Simultaneously, a friend Facebooked me a link to http://nancyhuntart.wordpress.com/ which she’d done a course to create as a means to promote her artwork, and a past neighbour now FB friend created http://allpoetryandcreativewriting.wordpress.com/ .
No-one at work was paying much attention to anything I was doing so I gave myself a quick DIY course in WordPress and started https://elladeewords.wordpress.com/. http://elladeeimages.wordpress.com/ was inspired by our new neighbourhood which is a gallery of street art, and http://elladeeplaces.wordpress.com/ was born of an unplanned road trip that reminded me there is a world out there.
Blogging suits my available time, my subject matter and my attention span.
My blogging inspiration comes from everyday life: what I see and what’s happening in my world.
The rules for accepting this award are as follows:
1. Thank the award-givers and link back to them in your post.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass this award along to 15 or 20 bloggers you read & admire.
4. Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know about the award.
7 things about me.
1. I lead a double life. I live in inner city Sydney (NSW, Australia) in a tiny apartment with my partner, the Gorgeous One (G.O.) and have a corporate desk job. That life pays the bills. We also have a house in a small village 6 hours drive up the coast. It’s where I live in my head & my heart. When I can’t sleep, instead of counting sheep I take a virtual walk around my garden. That life gives me the will to live the life that pays the bills.
2. I’m a cat person, and also a dog person. Currently we’re a catless & dogless household but it takes double the amount of time it should to walk home after work each afternoon from the local train station as I stop for neighbourhood cat & dog pats along the way.
3. The other day I had a flashback to a childhood game of “let’s pretend”. It was the early 70’s and we were pretending to be grownups at work, and I was tapping away at my imaginary typewriter. And yes, today a keyboard is an integral part of my life.
4. I love old & found stuff from op shops, garage sales, footpaths… Our apartment & house other than the basics, is accessorized with found or cheap goodies.
5. I appear to be crappy at writing fiction. I once wrote a 500 word short story called “The Journey” about dragons named Djimele & Djametris, for a fantasy fiction competition.
6. It may be that my penchant for blogging has a precedent in my family history. “ “A regular noting of plain facts in memorandum form” was Emily Evelyn Barwick’s modest aim when she began keeping this record of her life in domestic service” writes cousin Heather Ashford in her introduction to our early relative’s diary written in the 1880’s & 1890’s and published in 1987. (http://berkelouw.com.au/catalogue/rare-books/171060/the-diary-of-evelyn-barwick)
7. It’s not just me. Sometimes when I cook, food transpires as if by alchemy, and it’s the same with blogging. In the shower, on the train or wherever it amuses the muses… even at the keyboard, inspiration & words materialize.
I follow an array of amazing blogs & I couldn’t select only 20 myself so I gave it up to the Universe and this is the list, this time. In no particular order, for Versatile Blogger Awards, my nominations are:
Click on the links and be amused & inspired also.