Just a note to let you know we made it to our house on the coast after a couple of days travelling and visiting enroute. On the way we stopped and shopped for necessities. We arrived and tidied up, did a few jobs and made preparations. We spent a nice quiet Christmas Day “in town” with your grandmother and aunt & uncle. On Boxing Day we did a few last things as your arrival is imminent and we came up with some ideas to make the holiday experience enjoyable for all:
1. Time: Let us know when you’re getting here. We may like to go out for part of the day rather than waiting, waiting, waiting for your arrival even though we really are looking forward to it (see also*). Especially let us know if you plan to arrive at a meal time, and arrive on time. Otherwise you may find us expired from hunger in front of the fridge. *Let us know when you’re leaving [so we can ensure the sparkly is chilled].
2. Share: We love to shop & prepare food for you but we believe you have culinary skills of your own. At least, we know you watched Masterchef. Feel at home to put them to the test and bring & prepare a meal, a side salad or even some dip & biccies.
3. Kids: We love the kids. We want to spend the quality time you mentioned as the reason for your visit, with them playing games & reading stories, not chasing & yelling at them. That’s your job. If you wish to have a holiday with childcare facilities go to Hayman Island.
4. Participate: As well as sitting & playing cards all day, washing up is a necessary & potentially fun holiday activity. Please feel free to take part. Often enjoyable conversations happen over a dishcloth & tea towel.
5. When in Rome: Do as we do. We love you to be comfortable & feel at home. We like to also. Our location offers you the opportunity to enjoy new cultural experiences – we have no shops, internet & phone coverage but there are frogs, lizards, birds, butterflies, bugs, snakes… wildlife of all kinds, trees, grass, flowers, dirt, fresh air, tank water, stars and usually, peace & quiet.
6. Space: We’ve given you lovely rooms. Please feel free to keep your bags, packages and sundry items there rather than scattering them all over the house where you may lose track of them and leave them behind… again.
7. Don’t worry: If we don’t answer the phone for a few days, we’re ok. We’re just making sure you don’t invite yourselves back until the multitude of sheets & towels we washed after your stay are dry and ready for use once again.
EllaDee & Poppy